October 29, 2001
Share this story by E-mail
[Ed. note: California Assemblyman, Joe Simitian, contacted his constituents earlier this month to offer them the opportunity to propose a legislation, assuring them that one would be introduced in the State Assembly.]
Dear Deanna Sessums:
The following is my proposal for legislation to be introduced by Assemblyman Joe Simitian.
1) Fund and subsidize research, development, and manufacture of high gas mileage, "hybrid" (gas and electric combined) vehicles and hydrogen powered vehicles in California.
2) Fund and subsidize public transportation promotion and infrastructure.
3) Fund more and larger rebates for California households and businesses who install electricy-generating solar panels.
Here is a list of a few possible ways to fund the legislation, a combination of any or all of the following could be used.
1) Raise the gasoline tax by 5 cents per gallon every month for 20 months for a total increase of 1.00 dollar per gallon at the end of the 20 month period with tax rebates to low income people to mitigate hardships.
2) Impose an annual surcharge on registration of new vehicles where the vehicle does not meet a set standard for gas mileage. Commercial vehicle registration to be exempt.
3) Bond issue
California has experienced an electric "energy crisis" and several gasoline "energy crises." A reduction in petroleum consumption in California will benefit our environment and will promote stability in our energy markets both domestic and foreign.
Thank you for the opportunity to propose legislation to the Assemblyman. Please know that I would be happy to change the details of this proposal with input from your office.
Helen L.H. Mader
Helen Mader is a friend and a neighbor of the editors. She is very active in the local community. Both her and her husband, Steve, own and operate a California-licensed General Contractor business.
Please, DO NOT steal, scavenge or repost this work without the expressed written authorization of Swans, which will seek permission from the author. This material is copyrighted, © Helen Mader 2001. All rights reserved.
This Week's Internal Links
Mind Control in the New Kind of War - by Jan Baughman
Softening Public Opinion For All Out War On Iraq - by Stephen Gowans
Osama Bin Laden: Convenient Scapegoat? - by Gilles d'Aymery
Antiterrorism As A Cover For....Terrorism - by Edward S. Herman
Think About It - by Charles Buffalo
U.S. Attacks Vanuatu! Wins Stunning Victory! - by Edward S. Herman
Terrorism And The Ozone Layer - by Gilles d'Aymery
Differences That Make Differences. . . Patterns Which Connect - by Milo Clark
Two areas of commentary: Barbarism and Joinin' 'em - by Milo Clark
I've Got to Stop This. . . Crying in a Wilderness - by Milo Clark
Unnecessary Losses - by Sandy Lulay
Conversation With a Psychiatrist - by D. W. Buffa