October 4, 2004
(Swans - October 4, 2004)
A brief synopsis of human conditions in response to questions posed by
the new Chief of Outpost Guardians, Galactic Command
(COG Galcomm). This report is given from the socio-political perspective
of Americans, the culture in which this outpost is embedded.*
This outpost is manned by a single pre-contact observer, in the urban environs of the San Francisco Bay Area of California, in the United States of America, specifically the city of Oakland. While it is equipped with a resonant quantum gravitational space-time reintegrator (requavator), tourist traffic is not carried on at this time, to ensure pre-contact obliviousness is undamaged. However, we do support the entry and exit requavation of Galcomm surveillance and assessment teams, and the field trips of Organite researchers in Earth and human dynamics. Our requavation capabilities are ample and can provide the carapace biosynthesis needed by any Galactic Organite to blend into humanity. Because of E6A1.ox's isolation and minimal transport operations, observations can be carried on without notice or interruption.
First, let me congratulate Namunon Rupa for the appointment to COG Galcomm. I, and all OGs, are aware of how important the role of COG Galcomm is, as the sensory receptor nexus for all Organites with respect to the pre-contact disconnects. What follows is a brief response to the questions you addressed to E6A1.ox, as an addendum to the appointment announcement transmission. Beyond that, I will add commentary as can readily be supplied for a speedy response, yet within format limits. Greater elaboration will follow in subsequent regular reports and as requested by Galcomm.
Earth today is a planet that is rapidly heating due to exothermic human activity -- half of the subterranean paleo-liquid hydrocarbons have been consumed, primarily in the last eighty years. Humans have yet to devise minimum entropy systems of planetary energetics, so their use of energy is marked by waste and rapid environmental degradation. What could be a human paradise with ample water and temperate climate for several million years is instead a planet with overwhelming privation, widespread bloody conflict, rapacious conquest by plutocratic elites, and environmental catastrophe likely within decades. The most powerful country (a political entity) from which world plutocracy is building its planetary empire is the United States of America.
The Western Hemisphere
Calculations of present trends in the Planet America Model (developed in collaboration with socio-calculationists in the Planet America Special Interest Section, Institute of Pre-Contact Studies) indicate environmental collapse leading to border-expanding warfare within a century. This year alone, the Caribbean has experienced four devastating hurricanes in succession, a consequence of greater stored heat in the atmosphere and biosphere. The thermohaline cycle is expected to collapse in twenty years (plus or minus five) because of dilution in the North Atlantic due to polar melting and the rise of sea level.
The model projections show that America (the common name of the United States of America) will invade Canada to secure its natural resources, particularly oil, natural gas, water, minerals, wood and territory for military use and for waste deposits. Canadians would be absorbed into the American population, as the majority is white-skinned. This invasion would be prompted by the abrupt climate change after thermohaline collapse, from the currently warmed temperate conditions prevailing at mid latitudes on the North American continent, to a nearly Siberian drought-tundra situation.
The climate in the Caribbean and Central America would be much wetter, and with a greater frequency of severe storms. Floods would wash away what high winds have not swept away, especially in regions denuded of deep-rooted vegetation. Agriculture will be severely hampered, and waves of eco-collapse refugees will stream to Mexico and then north into the southern United States. The southern portions of South America will also be colder because of the general planetary cooling after the thermohaline collapse. Too bad all that atmospheric waste heat was not properly used in the first place, to support the development of organite civilization!
The United States will experience socio-racial shock under the deluge of invasions from the south, and it will invade Mexico to stem the tide and secure resources -- oil and water. The Mexicans and Latin Americans, being of darker skin and different language from American elite standards, will be contained in a manner now being practiced by Israel in Palestine (see reports from E2P1.ox). The American military occupation of Mexico will expand south into Central America, becoming a draining overreach.
These invasions will propel the South American countries to merge into an armed alliance, which they will be able to do despite American attacks given the over-extension of American attention. The armament of the south will be done by withholding resources from export to America, such as Venezuelan oil, and using them instead for indigenous social and military needs. This will occur on a continental basis as the Latin Americans will be unified by language (Latin American Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese, not difficult to bridge), by opposition to the "Colossus of the North" (under history, see "American Intervention") and the defense of their homes. The Latin American forces that will fight the United States over control of the Venezuelan oil fields (in twenty five to thirty years) will be made up of troops from all over South America.
There will be numerous internal revolutions during this South American Renaissance, causing the collapse of some political regimes, a major expansion of socialism (see the political sections in the references) and the merging and reformation of a number of countries with a rectification of borders. The entire process in the south will be relatively bloodless, aside from the sustained terrorism organized by the indigenous plutocracy supported by America, until such terrorism can be eliminated through social revolutions, which will see a few small scale retaliatory massacres of pro-American plutocrats.
The Global Probabilities
The Latin American Renaissance will be possible because America will be overextended with its North American occupations, its projected Australian occupation (see reports from E4M2.ox on the anticipated post eco-collapse Indonesian Oil War) and the interconnected Oil Wars of the Middle East, Central Asia and the Western Pacific.
A global analysis requires integrating the projections of the Planet America model with those of other regions: East Asia, Eurasia, Islamia, Western Europe and Africa (where America will mount resource raids). At this time the boundary of Islamia and Eurasia -- the Caucasus region -- is in turmoil that will devolve into the next major war, the Global Oil War expected to last thirty years. The consensus of model projections is for a weakening of the American empire, perhaps even the disappearance of the American political state, under the combined pressure of the Latin American Renaissance, a Euro-Russian alliance (to secure Middle East oil, repel African eco-refugee invasions, and credibly counter American long-range nuclear capability), a Sino-Japanese allied imperial expansion contending for command of Indonesia with American-occupied Australia (though some models predict the reverse, a second Sino-Japanese war), and a fracturing of Islamia from Algeria to Indonesia as different warlords fight and ally themselves with the three blocs contending for Islamia's oil: America, Euro-Russia (Eurasia), and East Asia. These matters are too diverse to describe here, they require a consolidation of Earth OG reports by Galcomm technical committees, and further analysis by pre-contact academics.
What remains clear is that until the natural conditions of the planet change radically, the expansion of the American empire will be unimpeded. The mechanisms used for this expansion -- capitalism (the economics of imperialism) and fossil fuel energy (paleo-hydrocarbon combustion) -- are the primary sources of global warming and accelerated socio-physical entropification.
Aspects of American Politics
American politics is impossible to understand on the basis of its literature, since it is entirely a product of subterfuge, denial and obfuscation. However, it is easily possible to understand the purposes of American political customs and institutions, by inquiring as to the effects of these on the great mass of the American public, and upon the much larger mass of Earth's people. From such empirical observations, and the historical record (being careful to analyze the source motivations and embedded biases of these), one can arrive at a number of basic political facts. Below, I list a number that have been constant over much of American history, and which also find parallels in the histories of many human societies (naturally, there will always be individual exceptions to the generalizations stated below).
1. Ordinary people are always the victims.
2. Capitalism is more important than human life, even of fellow Americans.
3. American politicians will literally walk over piles of dead to raise their ambitions. A notable example occurred in New York City shortly after the terror attacks of 11 September 2001.
4. Media lies and Americans accept the lies.
5. Americans are biased against Islam, Arabs and Muslims.
6. Americans believe Israel is stealing Palestine and oppressing the Palestinians; they accept this situation, and American foreign policy reflects this acceptance.
7. Heroes are unionized blue collar workers -- firefighters, police, flight attendants -- and soldiers; they are supposed to die selflessly, provide patriotic backdrops to political figures who represent corporate interests, and not strike for higher pay.
8. State capitalism is a system into which all pay while few benefit. It is popular with those few, who insist it be mandatory for everybody. Its attraction rests on the possibility of gain disproportionate to contribution, as with theft. The distribution of benefits is rigged (unlike honest gambling where they are randomized, and except for the house take and discounting skill at the game). The purpose of government is to host the forums that mediate the many dealings that go into arranging the schedule of benefits. Access to these forums is proportional to wealth. America is a welfare state, and in each person's mind their subsidy is justifiable while everyone else's is not; the purpose of the public is to be a source of wealth that is as disorganized and unsubsidized as possible.
9. The making of money is an obsessive-compulsive disorder -- an addiction. I do not mean pay for work, for the products of hand and mind labor, but about accumulating wealth. All addiction is a "loss of soul," and to such possession the addict will sacrifice anything: people, scruples, ethics, public safety, The Bill of Rights.
10. The political energy equation: oil = military power = political power = economic power. The equation works backwards as well: money buys power to use the military to secure resources -- imperialism.
11. The purpose of all political speech is to befuddle the public mind and distract it from the obvious: the goal of plutocracy is to keep its money and take yours. There is no other goal, whether organized privately as corporations or publicly as government. The recent increase in popular poverty is a clear sign of the success of the economic policies of the present political administration.
12. Ignorance is embraced as a means for social control by the elite, who work to degrade educational standards (which have fallen steadily during the last thirty years in direct anti-correlation with the rising dominance of the present majority political party) and to encourage religious dogmatism. People indoctrinated to dogma are intellectually incapacitated, being trained to dispense with evidence and logic that contradicts implanted precepts. In adapting the psychology of religious faith into the psychosis of remote control political programming, the American capitalist elite is reaching for its apotheosis in fascism. The appeal of ignorance is its ease -- thought is work -- and its consequence is fear, everything is an unknown and the unknown is a threat. Where the ignorant seek certainty against their fears, religion flourishes. Where religion flourishes, the capacity for cruelty and injustice expands. Elites meld the religious to the political to control the mass of the people and to channel massive popular energy into directed action -- war -- which taps that capacity for cruelty extracted from the vast reserves of fearful ignorance.
Pardon the prolixity, but I have reached the usual limit of regular OG reports, and there is yet much to tell. Another fascinating topic here is sex (humans have two sexes and each individual is expressed as one, as opposed to our internalized multiphasic sexuality). However, since I have addressed the specific questions sent, and then elaborated somewhat on several aspects of American political customs, this is a good place to stop. I was beginning to diverge into a discussion of American religion, which is exceedingly involved as a political and psychological topic, though largely bereft of intellectual content (amazingly, few Americans realize each individual actualizes the consciousness of the universe, the Organite essence). In America, religion is an emotional aspect of nonthinking, and of subterfuge when thought is political and economic calculation.
Thank you for your interest in Earth Station E6A1.ox, and be assured I will be happy to respond with special reports on specific questions about this world. Just write.
Earth Outpost Guardian E6A1.ox
· · · · · ·
* Footnotes are suppressed as the intended distribution is among the pre-contact technical committees of Galcomm and academics specializing in Planet America. Terms not defined are as given in standard references: Glossary of Planet America; History of Human Psychodynamics on Planet Earth; Planetary Americanization: An Empire of Emotion, Calculation and Delusion. (back)
US Elections & Democracy on Swans
America the 'beautiful' on Swans
Iraq on Swans
Manuel García, Jr. is a graduate aerospace engineer, working as a physicist at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. He did underground nuclear testing between 1978 and 1992. He is concerned with employee rights and unionization at the nuclear weapons labs, and the larger issue of their social costs. Otherwise, he is an amateur poet who is fascinated by the physics of fluids, zen sensibility, and the impact of truth.
Do you wish to share your opinion? We invite your comments. E-mail the Editor. Please include your full name, address and phone number. If we publish your opinion we will only include your name, city, state, and country.
Please, feel free to insert a link to this poem on your Web site or to disseminate its URL on your favorite lists, quoting the first paragraph or providing a summary. However, please DO NOT steal, scavenge or repost this work without the expressed written authorization of Swans. This material is copyrighted, © Manuel García, Jr. 2004. All rights reserved. No part of this material may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the publisher.
This Week's Internal Links
Collapse - by Guy Burneko
Jeffrey St. Clair & Alexander Cockburn: Dime's Worth of Difference - Book Review by Louis Proyect
The War in Iraq -- The Consumer's Crusade - by Phil Rockstroh
Singin' The Blues With Vichy On My Mind - by Richard Macintosh
Justice and Palestine: An Oxymoron? - by Gilles d'Aymery
A Day As Observer - by Milo Clark
Transforming Reality Into Mythology - by Philip Greenspan
Free Trade Ideology And The Constitution - by Michael Doliner
The Cult Protection Act - Poem by Gerard Donnelly Smith
Blips #3 - by Gilles d'Aymery
Letters to the Editor